Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Selling to real people


I was very excited to see that "Etsy Transactions" email in my inbox today, yet my heart jumped a bit when I recognized the user name: this is someone that I know and knows me.

Online shopping in general is impersonal. Someone places an order, leaves a message to seller (or doesn't), I ship the order and about 50% of the time I get a 6 word feedback review. Even though hard at first, we get used to "the system" and become more comfortable with being impersonal. But here was an order from someone who would more than likely talk about it to other people that we both know. What will she say about her experience with my shop? Were my customer service skills good enough? Was my product exactly what she were hoping for? Did she perceive my "Thank you for our order" email as spam? Will she recommend my shop and my product? Will she want to return for another order?

All of a sudden, my desire to know the answer to these questions increased. My work wasn't about to get analyzed by "someone in California", but by all our friends, who we hang out with during the weekends. I must have checked the items three times before I placed them in the envelope to be shipped.
I concluded that I have the best chance of making a truly great impression when I start out each order by pretending to personally know every single one of my customers.

Mara ~ Pretty Hair Clippies

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a good way to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting thoughts. I haven't had to deal with anyone I know buying my stuff yet, but I bet I would be freaking out about it as well.

    ReplyDelete